Thursday, May 31, 2012

Music Review: Back In Time

Now in full swing, the summer blockbuster season of 2012 has saw fit to reanimate a franchise that has been dormant for ten years.  (I wish it was that easy for video games.)  Enter Men In Black 3.  The gimmick with this film is that Agent J (Will Smith) must time-travel to the year 1969 to save his partner, Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones / Josh Brolin). Now, I'm not here to talk about the film, although I will mention that general consensus puts it below the first film but a league above the second.  Rather, I will focus my attention on MIB3's promotional single, "Back In Time" by Pitbull.


"Back In Time"
  • Artist: Pitbull
  • Album: Men In Black 3 [OST]
  • Release: 26 March 2012
  • Genre: Hip-Hop, Pop
  • Label: Polo Grounds, RCA, Mr. 305
  • Writers: Armando C. Perez, Marc Kinchen, Adrian Trejo, Urales Vargas, Sylvia Robinson, Ellas McDaniel, Mickey Baker
  • Producers: Marc Kinchen, DJ Big Syphe, DJ Buddha


Hey wait a minute, Pitbull!? Will Smith did the tie-in songs for the first two films himself; why did they need to pull in someone else this time around? There are rumours that he's working on his first album since 2005, but he could've done the work here and now as the perfect re-launching point for his recording career! As it stands, we're stuck with one of the most atrocious rappers this side of Soulja Boy Tell'Em, may his career burn in Hell. And the only reason I can think of is because he's popular at the moment, which would also explain the brief dubstep breakdown near the end of the track. What does it have to do with the rest of the song musically? Not much, but hey, it's a rising trend too!

Because of its title, one wonders if it would sample the song of the same name by Huey Lewis and the News, which was a tie-in with Back To The Future.  But no, that would be too awesome.  Rather, the sample they used was from "Love Is Strange" by Mickey & Silvia, back from 1956.  Yeah, I've never heard of it before either.  But whatever it is, has nothing to do with Men In Black and it adds little so to the song itself that it might as well not be there at all.  For gripes' sake, the lyrics are:

Baby, ooh, baby
Ooh baby
My sweet baby
You're the one

Which could be taken from any song on the radio!  I know I'm going to regret this, but let's see what kind of personality Pitbull will add to this recipe.


It's Mr Worldwide, Agent A, Reporting live

You forgot to add "hole" in front of your agent letter. >:-)

From Cape Canaveral, MK, Big Syphe, let's ride

Oh hey, Marc Kinchen (MK) and DJ Big Syphe, two of the song's producers.  You know, this trend of making shout-outs at the beginning of songs is getting annoying, as anyone who's suffered through a JR Rotem song can attest to.  There are less intrusive ways to give credit where credit is due, ya know.

Miami equals black mask, black clothes
With a little bit of rope to tie, (I flipped it)

Around your neck, please? >:-)

Black suits, white shirts, black glasses with a matching tie
Like Agent J or Agent K, and I wish the whole world would

You wish the whole world would... what?  Stop listening to your music?  Because I'm down with that! >:-)

Okay, I'm tryin' make a billion out of 15 cents, understand, understood
I'm a go-getter, mover, shaker, culture
Bury a boarder, record-breaker won't cha
Give credit where credit is due, don't cha

...Aaand my question goes unanswered, in favour of Pitbull bragging about how awesome (he thinks) he is.  Shouldn't have been surprised.

Know that I don't give a number two
Y'all just halfway thoughts, not worth the back of my mind

My thoughts exactly. >:-)  (Okay, I need to stop using that devil smiley!)  Then again, since he's not declaring whom he doesn't care for, for all I know he could be talking about himself.  Wishful thinking, I calls it.

But to understand the future, we have to go back in time

Oh, goody, a reference to the film shoehorned in the song without any regard to how it fits in with the lyrical content!  Actually, since this song has so little to do with the movie, I have to give a tip of the hat to how it was used in the TV adverts, in which only this line, the first lines of the first verse, and the chorus can be heard.

I got the globe, yeah, in the palm of my hand
Wherever I spin it, that's where I land

I think you mixed up the word order there, pally.  To simply "spin" a globe won't give you an exact location; you have to drop your finger or something on a random point in order to know where to "land".  If I were writing this song, Heaven forbid, I'd have fixed this to something like, "I spin the globe, yeah, in the palm of my hand / Wherever it stops, that's where I land".  Oh, but then he wouldn't be able to say he has the globe in the palm of his hand.  Truly, this world - and my brain - has become a giant [chicken], just waiting to get [plucked].

Stop the movement, they can try if they want to
Ignorar lo latino, si (ignore the Latino, yeah)
They can try if they want to

Isn't this special.  He just rhymed an entire phrase with itself, with some gratuitous Spanish to boot.  And wouldn't you know it, he's done this before, in "International Love".  Pit, su escritura es perezoso.

What Pit solves is a bit raw, took like jigsaw and built it all
Despite a big loss, I'd bet it all

Oh how I wish that would happen. >:-) (Sorry, last one, we're almost done.)

And fought blind against the world, Ray Charles

Aw, what the heck now!?  One of my least favourite rappers has caught onto the "hashtag rap" trend!?  There's only one meme picture that can describe how I'm feeling:


Or, at the end of the music video, Pitbull is nice enough to flash a neuralyzer at the screen.  Smile for the camera...

...Where am I?  Was I in the middle of writing a review?  Guess so, I left a memo for myself before that guy fixed me.  Something for a song called "Back In Time"...  Man, what have I got against Huey Lewis?

Lyrics: 1 star out of 5
Music/Production: 1 star out of 5
Performance: 2 stars out of 5
The Call: 1 star out of 5 (F)

No comments:

Post a Comment